Sunday, August 22, 2010

ENDANGERED

Endangered

Our skies are pale
With the soil stained red
But it is not with blood
Here there was none shed

I speak out for my brother
Among the last trapped on the moon
Their supplies have run low
And his death will come soon

But today I tell the story
Of a species that shared the skies
How they soon split in three
And then fought for their lives

The year 2143
Is when it all began
The moon’s numbers grew
And supplies were in demand

Of course we had our problems
We were but a young race
Yet our greed always took hold
And we could not share space

But we did not kill each other
Our death came from just one
The home world we called Earth
On which a civil war sprung

There was talk of a treaty
But none ever arose
The home world could not agree
And negotiations froze

But this was a problem
Not just for them but us to
Our supplies came from them
And civil war would not do

In the year 2147
It all came to an stop
Our home world had been destroyed
All it took was several shots

They all knew what would happen
If they were to flip the switch
Our species would be gone
And space would not even flinch

Yet they still proceeded
And ourselves we had killed
We were but a young race
So thoughtful and skilled

Now our species is endangered
Even at that worlds apart
And when my brother dies
With him goes all my heart

Because sometimes I must wonder
How could we be so cursed
Born into a damned species
With an un-quenched blood thirst

And now I question existence
Hoping the world ends with me
But I know sadly it will not
And I feel just human greed

Now all I am left with
Is the need to turn back the clock
To a time more peaceful
And with un-vaporized rock

Though because of my people
My existence is now this
Waiting for my death
Forced to look at what I miss

Because all I am left with
Are these damn red skies
Another stab in the back
As we watch the world die

-Carlos “House” Gerardo

No comments: